$SHARE/xfwm4/defaults

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Thu Jul 7 11:25:50 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 10:46:27AM +0200, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:

> * Olivier Fourdan [2005-07-06 21:50 +0200]
> >  It's not the way it works actually. The name "defaults" is admittedly
> >  misleading, it's rather the data used as fall-back. The MCS plugin
> >  takes precedence over all other settings.
>
> Then I honestly think that this behaviour is broken (regardless if it's by
> design). Xfce is far less viable as a windows manager and desktop
> environment for cases like mine, where one would like to deploy a
> site-wide default configuration for all users.

> >  Please let us know your project goes :)
>
> I will!
>

> I hope I wasn't too hard on my critics. I really like xfce (which is why
> we want to use it in the first place). I hope we can work out a way to use
> it in a clean way, though.

It's alright. I would love to see someone step up to make sure that all
configuration in Xfce uses system defaults that can be adapted by the
sysadmin.

There should be a layered system consisting of:

1) Kiosk settings (if applicable)
2) System confifuration
3) User configuration

The kiosk system can control whether only the system configuration will be
used or whether the user is allowed to make customizations.

The system configuration should use the same configuration file format as the
user version to make it easy to configure Xfce as a user and then copy the
relevant files over to the system location.

Using the resource lookup functions in libxfce4util, this should not be hard
to implement. I have actually no idea how many components are already doing
this right. It's probably best to direct follow-up discussion to xfce4-dev.

	Jasper