$SHARE/xfwm4/defaults

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Wed Jul 6 21:50:59 CEST 2005

Hi Svein

On Wed, 2005-07-06 at 11:11 +0200, Svein Halvor Halvorsen wrote:
[...]
> So I edited the $share/xfwm4/defaults file to includes lines like:
>
> 	keytheme=studmath
> 	theme=studmath
>
> among other changes. However, the selected themes are not used when a user
> with an empty home directory logs on the computer. Is this the expected
> behaviour?

It's not the way it works actually. The name "defaults" is admittedly
misleading, it's rather the data used as fall-back. The MCS plugin takes
precedence over all other settings.

The default xfwm4 theme is defined in xfwm4/mcs-plugin/xfwm4_plugin.h

[...]
#define DEFAULT_THEME "Default"
#define DEFAULT_KEY_THEME "Default"
#define DEFAULT_LAYOUT "OTS|HMC"
#define DEFAULT_ACTION "maximize"
#define DEFAULT_ALIGN "center"
#define DEFAULT_FONT "Sans 9"
[...]

You have then 2 options

1) Change the value in xfwm4_plugin.h, rebuild and reinstall
2) Change the theme data in Default/xfwm4

I would personally be more in favour of the 2nd option because it makes
sense to keep the default in a directory, but your mileage may vary.

>  I also tried a ktrace/kdump on xfwm4 and in looks like the
> file $share/themes/studmath/xfce/keythemerc is stat()-ed and open()-ed.

Yes, that's because it's loaded 1st and overloaded by user's preference
(through the "MCS" settings)

> Also; I am able to create a default panel contents.xml-file and menu.xml
> file, however, how do I set the default backdrop image?

The backdrop is defines in $HOME/.config/xfce4/mcs_settings/desktop.xml

Same as xfwm4 MCS plugin, the default values are defined in
xfdesktop/common/xfdesktop-common.h:

#define DEFAULT_BACKDROP  DATADIR "/xfce4/backdrops/xfce-smoke.png"

Please let us know your project goes :)

HTH
Olivier.