system menu

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun Jan 23 10:49:14 CET 2005

Ondrej Mihalyi wrote:

>So, is it at least possible to find out which button/option in system menu runs which command?  I'm sometimes confused, what does 'screeen reader and magnifyer', 'ATI control', 'ADSL configuration' mean.
>I know it's mainly gnome stuff, but I'd like to have an idea about what's going to be run, when I click on those and it bothers me, when I have to launch it first and then type ps ax into console to see what's running.
>
>I'd like to have that feature, if it's not too much, that if I right click on a program in a desktop menu, a simple a popup with informations would appear, something like in appfinder.

the problem is that gtk menus aren't really designed so you can
right-click on them and display another menu.  it's doable, but it would
be a bit of a pain.  perhaps something for the new menu system in 4.4.

    -brian

>It would be also nice, if there was in that popup and option to launch xfce-menueditor with editting dialog immediately open for that program, but I think that would need a slight modification of command line options for the menu editor to start directly edit some item in menu.

at present, the menueditor doesn't "see" what's inside the system menu,
so that wouldn't work.

>I believe it's not difficult to code what I prooposed, I would've tried to do it myself, if I knew the code for both apps.

be careful what you "believe" without knowing what the codebase looks
like ^_~.

    -brian