xffm v rox and changing default programs

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Wed Jan 19 06:12:15 CET 2005

Erik Harrison wrote:

>On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:49:00 -0800, Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net> wrote:
>

>>Erik Harrison wrote:

>>>In what context does Rox load - what do you open it from? Is it a
>>>launcher on the panel? Folder on the Rox desktop? How do you launch
>>>your filemanager?
>>>

>>I don't know what distro/configuration the original poster is using, but
>>I noticed that in xfld 0.2 (the live xfce demo) the 'file' icon on the
>>panel launches rox by default. That seemed a bit odd to me.
>>

>Interestly enough, lots of distros which ship with Xfce as the primary
>desktop environment change the file manager. Not sure about Xfld, but
>Cobind used to use Nautilus.
>
>xffm has a reputation for having a bit of a learning curve, which it
>does, and being hard to use, which it isn't. Besides, using Rox is a
>tried and true tradition with Xfce which has always followed the Unix
>small tools philosphy. Picking icon view in 3.x file manager would
>just launch Rox. . .

Well, I used to not care for xffm, but it is has improved very much and
it has become my regular file manager. Fwiw, I was using rox, although
after using it (rox) a lot I still find it quirky and it takes more
'getting used to' than xffm.

I just think that if your going to show off xfce with a live demo CD,
you shouldn't bury xffm. Jmo.

Bob S.