xffm v rox and changing default programs

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Wed Jan 19 19:06:54 CET 2005

El mié, 19-01-2005 a las 00:01 -0500, Erik Harrison escribió:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:49:00 -0800, Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net> wrote:
> > Erik Harrison wrote:

> > >In what context does Rox load - what do you open it from? Is it a
> > >launcher on the panel? Folder on the Rox desktop? How do you launch
> > >your filemanager?
> > >

> > I don't know what distro/configuration the original poster is using, but
> > I noticed that in xfld 0.2 (the live xfce demo) the 'file' icon on the
> > panel launches rox by default. That seemed a bit odd to me.
>
> Interestly enough, lots of distros which ship with Xfce as the primary
> desktop environment change the file manager. Not sure about Xfld, but
> Cobind used to use Nautilus.
>
> xffm has a reputation for having a bit of a learning curve, which it
> does, and being hard to use, which it isn't. Besides, using Rox is a
> tried and true tradition with Xfce which has always followed the Unix
> small tools philosphy. Picking icon view in 3.x file manager would
> just launch Rox. . .

The requests for iconview in xffm have been aplenty, so now a smaller,
faster, and easier version of xffm which uses an iconview is in the
oven. Executing the current CVS-HEAD  version of xffm with the command
line "xfce4-fm" (a symlink to xffm) fires up the icon view without
double-click on everywhere you can go with the traditional treeview
(including smb-network). Pretty soon drag-n-drop and popup menus will be
enabled too. Furthermore, everything except local file navigation is a
plugin, and is not loaded unless strictly requested, keeping memory
footprint down. Third party plugins will also be found and used, just
like the panel.

If anyone pleases to give it a test drive, note that navigation is done
by double-clicking button 1 (like nautilus). If you hold the contrl key
down while double-clicking, you will open a new window, otherwise stay
in the same one. Single click navigation like the default of rox is
obtained by single clicking button 2. Button 3 will be used for the
popup menu.

edscott wilson garcia <edscott at xfce.org>