xffm v rox and changing default programs

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 06:01:54 CET 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:49:00 -0800, Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net> wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 16:10:58 -0800 (PST), Larry Fiske
> ><thegreatlarro at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >>hello,
> >>
> >>i've browsed the user manuals and can't find anything about these 2 items:
> >>
> >>1) i'd like to use xffm as a file manager, but rox-filer seems to load, how can
> >>i change over to xffm?
> >>

> >In what context does Rox load - what do you open it from? Is it a
> >launcher on the panel? Folder on the Rox desktop? How do you launch
> >your filemanager?
> >

> I don't know what distro/configuration the original poster is using, but
> I noticed that in xfld 0.2 (the live xfce demo) the 'file' icon on the
> panel launches rox by default. That seemed a bit odd to me.

Interestly enough, lots of distros which ship with Xfce as the primary
desktop environment change the file manager. Not sure about Xfld, but
Cobind used to use Nautilus.

xffm has a reputation for having a bit of a learning curve, which it
does, and being hard to use, which it isn't. Besides, using Rox is a
tried and true tradition with Xfce which has always followed the Unix
small tools philosphy. Picking icon view in 3.x file manager would
just launch Rox. . .

> Bob S.

-Erik