How to avoid duplicate entries in desktop system menu?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sat Feb 5 19:17:09 CET 2005

Christian  wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have noticed, that some programs have duplicate entries in the desktop
> menu.
>
> E.g. I'm using Debian (testing), and qalculate (a desktop calculator)
> has two entries in the desktop menu, both in the Utilities submenu. I
> have noticed, that this program has a .desktop file in
> /usr/share/applications/ and one in /usr/share/applnk/Utilities/.

Easy to explain: The first one results in a desktop-id
"qalculate.desktop", the second one is "kde-qalculate.desktop" (->
KDELegacyDirs). The two desktop-ids differ and so the `same application'
is displayed twice.

Its really the applications fault to install two .desktop files. And if
the application maintainer really needs to install two files, then he
should take care that both files will have the same desktop-id in
standard compliant implementations (e.g. installing the first one to
/usr/share/applications/kde-qalculate.desktop or
/usr/share/applications/kde/qalculate.desktop would be the proper solution).

> Greetings,
> Christian

HTH,
Benedikt