How to avoid duplicate entries in desktop system menu?

Christian =?utf-8?Q?V=2E_J=2E_Br=FCssow?= cvjb at cvjb.de
Sat Feb 5 19:37:07 CET 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 07:17:09PM +0100, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>>I have noticed, that some programs have duplicate entries in the desktop
>>menu.
>>
>>E.g. I'm using Debian (testing), and qalculate (a desktop calculator)
>>has two entries in the desktop menu, both in the Utilities submenu. I
>>have noticed, that this program has a .desktop file in
>>/usr/share/applications/ and one in /usr/share/applnk/Utilities/.
>
>Easy to explain: The first one results in a desktop-id
>"qalculate.desktop", the second one is "kde-qalculate.desktop" (->
>KDELegacyDirs). The two desktop-ids differ and so the `same application'
>is displayed twice.

Sorry, but the content of the two files is identical, and they are both
named "qalculate.desktop", so how can they have different desktop-ids?

>Its really the applications fault to install two .desktop files. And if
>the application maintainer really needs to install two files, then he
>should take care that both files will have the same desktop-id in
>standard compliant implementations (e.g. installing the first one to
>/usr/share/applications/kde-qalculate.desktop or
>/usr/share/applications/kde/qalculate.desktop would be the proper solution).

Hmm, I have moved /usr/share/applications/qalculate.desktop to
kde-qalculate.desktop and executed an "xfdesktop -reload", but the two
entries are still there.

Christian

P.S. Hope this thread is not too off-topic here...