xfdesktop and xplanet

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 22:18:44 CET 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:06:51 +0100, Fridtjof Busse <fbusse at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi
> I'm quite new to xfce4 but I like it very much already :)
> But I have a problem with XFCE 4.2.0: I want to run xplanet, which won't
> work if xfdesktop is running at the same time.
> But my changes to /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc won't change anything (I
> commented xfdesktop and added the xplanet startup). No xplanet after
> startup and still xfdesktop. I'm using startxfce4 in .xsession, but none
> of what i put in /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc seems to be executed.
> My editing of /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc to change Desktop to a
> hidden folder also did nothing, am I assuming the wrong file?
>
> Where's my mistake (~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc is identical to the one
> in /etc/xdg and no ~/.xfce4) and is there any better way to run xplanet?
> Saving the session won't work since xplanet looses connection.
> Thanks.

Well, I believe there has been some tricks posted to the mailing list
that will make xplanet play nice with xfdesktop. You may want to
search the archives for that if you want to use xfdesktop's
functionality.

But if you really want to replace xfdesktop with xplanet, you can't
just uncomment xfdesktop from the startup script, since that is just a
backup incase the session manager isn't available. First, add the
command to start xplanet to .xinitrc (or, you can put a symlink in
~/Desktop/Autostart - this may be a better bet), and then kill
xfdesktop, and log out saving your session. This will keep xfdesktop
from coming back, and launch xplanet automatically.

> --
> Fridtjof Busse
> BOFH Excuse #192:
>
> runaway cat on system.

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik