I would like my desktop back?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 2 06:49:18 CET 2005

Erik Peterson wrote:

>Sorry, I am back.
>
>OK I fixed it sort of.  Launched xfdesktop form the CLI and i get the
>desktop and menus back but i get the error
>
>*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
>
>printed down the  terminal screen for a very long time.  Of course if
>I close the terminal window I loose the menu but the desktop image
>remains.  I know the "xfdesktop &" should return control of the window
>and run fxdesktop in the background but the error prevents this.  I of
>course could just save/logout with the console running but this seems
>less than ideal
>
>thoughts?

a search of the mailing list archives would likely also yield several
posts remarking that that's a warning (not an error!) generated by
librsvg.  it's harmless.  if you really want it to go away, update
librsvg.  don't bother with a terminal; just run xfdesktop from the run
dialog (alt+f2 unless you've changed it).

and that warning certainly isn't preventing the background & from
working.  if you want to disconnect the app from the terminal, you need
to run "nohup xfdesktop &".

    -brian