xfprint4 not seeing printer

Jean-François Wauthy pollux at xfce.org
Sat Dec 31 12:20:47 CET 2005

Le mercredi 28 décembre 2005 à 17:07 +1100, Les Gray a écrit :
> Hi,

hi
> I have 2 machines running Debian 3.1 with xfce 4.2.2 installed on both
> of them. A cups server is set up on the main one and is configured
> properly.

> On the client machine I have only the cups client package installed
> (no drivers/foomatic/gs/postscript programs).
>
> Printing from all applications works fine on the client, except if I
> want to use the xfprint4 print dialog. The 'Print to' field appears but
> it is not picking up my printer (which is a HP Deskjet 840c).

in 4.2.2 the use of localhost as server is hardcoded in the cups plugin,
this was fixed in 4.2.3; you should retry with that version

> When I installed xfprint4 it allowed me to choose the print system.
> Plus the xfce4 print manager sees the printer OK.

strange because xfprint4 and the print manager use the same code to
retrieve the printer list

> I also tried installing the necessary postscript-related programs on
> the client (a2ps, psutils, gs-esp) but it didn't help.

a2ps is needed on the client because xfprint uses it, and xfprint should
have asked for it at compile time

cheers
--
Jean-François Wauthy <pollux at xfce.org>