xfprint4 not seeing printer

Les Gray lgray at bigpond.net.au
Wed Dec 28 07:07:49 CET 2005

Hi,

I have 2 machines running Debian 3.1 with xfce 4.2.2 installed on both
of them. A cups server is set up on the main one and is configured
properly.

On the client machine I have only the cups client package installed
(no drivers/foomatic/gs/postscript programs).

Printing from all applications works fine on the client, except if I
want to use the xfprint4 print dialog. The 'Print to' field appears but
it is not picking up my printer (which is a HP Deskjet 840c).

When I installed xfprint4 it allowed me to choose the print system.
Plus the xfce4 print manager sees the printer OK.

I tried entering the printer's name and address (ipp://....) manually
in the 'print to' field of xfprint4 but it just locks my screen if I
click on 'print' or try to save the settings.

I also tried installing the necessary postscript-related programs on
the client (a2ps, psutils, gs-esp) but it didn't help.

Any clues on how I can get this to work? xfprint4 works fine on my
main machine, just not on the client.

Thanks.