XFSound

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 22:56:59 CEST 2005

On 8/31/05, Benedikt Meurer <benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> wrote:
> Dan Coit wrote:
> > Is anyone working on getting the XFSound module to work with version
> > 4.x?  I remember how great the event sounds were on 3.x including the
> > startup sound and am wondering if that will be relegated to pure
> > nostalgia.
>
> Below are my thoughts on the sound system from about a half year ago.
> Getting sound back is trivial, just write a simple D-BUS service, that
> can play sounds and let the clients (window manager, session manager)
> send events to the service. The problem is getting it right.
>

> Xfce Sound System
>
> Requirements
>
>         optional
>         lightweight
>         fast
>         easy to use
>         good integration with other desktops
>
> Ideas
>
>         Use .soundlist files like GNOME, but with XDG basedir spec
>         Communicate using D-BUS (fire-and-forget from the client POV)

I'm wondering if there is some way to simply tie this to the
notification spec, so that Xfsound just has to know about more general
purpose desktop events, and fire off a sound, instead of the clients
having to fire off "make a noise" message.

I fear however, that the notifications work is going so far afield
that this might not be feasible

>         Develop a simple D-BUS interface for the Sound Daemon
>
> Nice default sounds:
> http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=12584
>

> > Peace Dan C.
>
> Benedikt

"This brings me back to a time where I had no worries.
All I needed to do was watch Perfect Strangers."
-Erik