XFSound

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Aug 31 15:11:50 CEST 2005

Dan Coit wrote:
> Is anyone working on getting the XFSound module to work with version
> 4.x?  I remember how great the event sounds were on 3.x including the
> startup sound and am wondering if that will be relegated to pure
> nostalgia.

Below are my thoughts on the sound system from about a half year ago.
Getting sound back is trivial, just write a simple D-BUS service, that
can play sounds and let the clients (window manager, session manager)
send events to the service. The problem is getting it right.

Xfce Sound System

Requirements

	optional
	lightweight
	fast
	easy to use
	good integration with other desktops

Ideas

	Use .soundlist files like GNOME, but with XDG basedir spec
	Communicate using D-BUS (fire-and-forget from the client POV)
	Develop a simple D-BUS interface for the Sound Daemon

Nice default sounds:
http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=12584

> Peace Dan C.

Benedikt