integrated internet browser

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Fri Aug 26 17:55:19 CEST 2005

El jue, 25-08-2005 a las 18:20 +0100, James Tappin escribió:
> On Thursday 25 August 2005 18:07, Erik Harrison wrote:
> EH> Yeah, if the two things you do most are file browsing and web
> EH> browsing, and the most common thing you do is switch from your file
> EH> browser to a newly typed URL which isn't in your bookmarks in your
> EH> webbrowser, then this is a time saver.
> EH>
> EH> The issue is of course is that the UI should make it easy to switch
> EH> between the two (web browser/file browser) but they should be seperate
> EH> applications.
> EH>
> EH> Shoehorning the two together results in either konqui (which is
> EH> unusable) or Explorer (which changes it's entire UI depending on the
> EH> mode). And that's just from a UI perspective.
> EH>
>
> I'd dispute the claim that konqui is unusable. IMHO the most useful facility
> for combining web/file browsing is the ability to drag a web link into a file
> manager to download it where you want (rather than having to faff about with
> a download dialogue to get it in the right place). If xffm could accept files
> from firefox in that way then I'd be happy.

The feature is now in the svn-4.3.4 branch of xffm, so you can drop with
wget download (or scp if it's a file:// link) to any of the xffm gui's,
including the desktop. Soon to appear in svn-trunk after some
optimizations, and in 4.3.4 release.

BTW, much thanks for the suggestion. A *very* useful feature :-)

--
Edscott Wilson Garcia <edscott at xfce.org>