integrated internet browser

James Tappin james at tappin.me.uk
Thu Aug 25 19:20:32 CEST 2005

On Thursday 25 August 2005 18:07, Erik Harrison wrote:
EH> Yeah, if the two things you do most are file browsing and web
EH> browsing, and the most common thing you do is switch from your file
EH> browser to a newly typed URL which isn't in your bookmarks in your
EH> webbrowser, then this is a time saver.
EH>
EH> The issue is of course is that the UI should make it easy to switch
EH> between the two (web browser/file browser) but they should be seperate
EH> applications.
EH>
EH> Shoehorning the two together results in either konqui (which is
EH> unusable) or Explorer (which changes it's entire UI depending on the
EH> mode). And that's just from a UI perspective.

I'd dispute the claim that konqui is unusable. IMHO the most useful facility
for combining web/file browsing is the ability to drag a web link into a file
manager to download it where you want (rather than having to faff about with
a download dialogue to get it in the right place). If xffm could accept files
from firefox in that way then I'd be happy.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james at tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering