Removing decorations from a window

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 23:37:08 CEST 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 09:51:06PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 10:28:27PM +0200, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> >
> > Quick and dirty:
> >
> > struct {
> >     unsigned long flags;
> >     unsigned long functions;
> >     unsigned long decorations;
> >     long input_mode;
> >     unsigned long status;
> > } hints = {
> >   2, 0, 0, 0, 0,
> > };
> >
> > XChangeProperty (display, window,
> >                  XInternAtom (display, "_MOTIF_WM_HINTS", False),
> >                  XInternAtom (display, "_MOTIF_WM_HINTS", False),
> >                  32, PropModeReplace,
> >                  (const unsigned char *) &hints,
> >                  sizeof (hints) / sizeof (long));
> >
> Thank very much Benedikt!  I can get from there to "long and cleaner",
> it was just the initial bit I couldn't manage.
>
> Using the MWM hints is fine as long as it works with most WMs.

... and it works perfectly, thanks very much indeed Benedikt. I now
have a clock with no decorations!  :-)

I still can't find the above structure documented anywhere in the Xlib
header files, I've looked hard.  The only hints structure I can find
in the X header files I have is XWMHints which doesn't have the
decorations bit. Where is what you put into that hints structure
documented?

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."