Removing decorations from a window

Myles Green rmg57 at telus.net
Mon Aug 22 22:01:56 CEST 2005

Chris Green wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 08:15:11PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>
>>>If an application needs to have no decorations in order to do it's
>>>job, it needs to request to have no decorations. You can do this via
>>>Qt, GTK+. or Xlib. Qt and GTK+ provide convinience functions for
>>>setting the proper hints. With Xlib you'll need to set the hint
>>>manually. The EWMH spec is here:
>>>http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html
>>>

>>Aha, thank you!  That should well help me on the way.
>>
>>What I couldn't find was anything that would tell me what hints I
>>needed to set.  I'd found how to manipulate hints from Xlib but
>>nowhere that told me what to change.
>>

> However I'm now back to where I was, I can't see anything in the above
> document that tells me how to say a window should have no decorations.
>
> The only relevant part would seem to be _NET_WM_STATE and the only one
> that says the window should have no decorations is
> _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN which is not a lot of use really.  None of
> the other window hints seems to remove decorations.
>
> So, any suggestions anyone?

Hi Chris,

If you install the program 'devilspie' and then look in the documents
(/usr/share/doc/devilspie/examples on my system) you'll find an example
configuration file for devilspie which you can copy to $HOME as
'.devilspie.xml' - you need that config file or devilspie will not start
(there is no GUI for devilspie, it reads that file on startup, runs in
the background, and does what you want it to do).

Anyway, if you read that file it contains an example, using the Galleon
web browser, that will show you *exactly* what you need to do to get an
application to start without window decorations. There are other
examples in there to make applications sticky, open on a specific
desktop etc.

I know you said you didn't like/want to edit XML files but there really
isn't much to this one and the added bonus is that it will do _exactly_
what you want to accomplish.

Hope that helps...

Best,
Myles