Removing decorations from a window

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 21:26:14 CEST 2005

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 08:15:11PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:

> > If an application needs to have no decorations in order to do it's
> > job, it needs to request to have no decorations. You can do this via
> > Qt, GTK+. or Xlib. Qt and GTK+ provide convinience functions for
> > setting the proper hints. With Xlib you'll need to set the hint
> > manually. The EWMH spec is here:
> > http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-1.3.html
> >
> Aha, thank you!  That should well help me on the way.
>
> What I couldn't find was anything that would tell me what hints I
> needed to set.  I'd found how to manipulate hints from Xlib but
> nowhere that told me what to change.

However I'm now back to where I was, I can't see anything in the above
document that tells me how to say a window should have no decorations.

The only relevant part would seem to be _NET_WM_STATE and the only one
that says the window should have no decorations is
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN which is not a lot of use really.  None of
the other window hints seems to remove decorations.

So, any suggestions anyone?

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."