Removing decorations from a window

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Mon Aug 22 14:48:53 CEST 2005

Further to my previous enquiry about removing decorations from a
window, I seem to be between two opposing camps arguing about how this
should be done but with neither camp giving me the tools to do it!

Since the decorations are created (and customised) by the Window
Manager it seems to me reasonable that the Window Manager should offer
options which allow one to say that certain windows should have no
decorations.  However the xfce Window manager doesn't seem to offer
this possibility.

So I go to the other end and look at the options in Xlib and there all
I find is that, since the decorations are created by the Window
Manager it's non-portable to have functions to remove the decorations
from the client end.

Grrrr!

It's surely possible because some of the xfce utilities don't have
decorations, maybe I'll end up having to look at the source code for
them but I fear they go through GTK etc. and I want the basic Xlib
functions to get a window without decorations.

The 'right' solution to my mind is that it should be configurable in
xfwm, is this do-able?

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."