Problems with xffm/xfsamba and right-click menu in Xfce 4.2.0 (on Slackware 10.1)

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Mon Aug 15 15:41:32 CEST 2005

El lun, 15-08-2005 a las 11:19 +0100, Nick Chorley escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I've found no help whatsoever with these problems, I did try the forum
> but no-one there was able to help it seemed. Someone there said I should
> try and contact Edscott via this mailing list.
>
> My first problem is that I'm not able to see all the machines on the
> network when going to "SMB Network" in xffm/xfsamba4. Basically, there
> are two other machines on the network besides my own, both run Windows
> XP (all are in the same workgroup, too - HOME). If they are both on,
> like right now, only one of them appears. Xfsamba has this output at the
> bottom:
>
> XFSAMBA> nmblookup -M -- -
> XFSAMBA> nmblookup -A 10.0.0.1
> XFSAMBA> smbclient -N -L //650MHZ
> Domain=[650MHZ] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
> Domain=[650MHZ] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
>
> Does anyone know how I can get it to display both machines?

On the first request, xfsamba resolves the masterbrowser, on the second
it resolves the workgroups. It takes one more double click on the
workgroup to see both machines.

If you open the workgroup and only see one machine, then it is a problem
with the smb network (the smb protocol is not too robust). Both machines
have to be up for a while so that the master browser can construct the
browse table. Whatever you see when you doubleclick on //650MHZ is not
what xffm browses, but rather what the master browser does. That's the
way smb works. Configuring winNS for your XP boxes also helps.

Also, if you just turned one of the XP boxes and don't want to wait
until the master browser gets wind of it, just use goto function in xffm
and type "//netbios_name" where netbios name is the box you just turned
on.

> My next problem is that there's an entry on the right-click menu that I
> want to remove. The other day, I opened KDE's Konsole in Xfce and it
> added itself to the menu. It is in the section that has various
> categories, like Accessories, Development and so on. If I run
> xfce4-menueditor, the relevant line seems to have ---include--- and
> system in the Name and Command columns, respectively (judging by the
> pattern of separators in there and the one on the menu itself). Someone
> told me to check menu.xml as well and I looked at both the one in
> ~/.config/xfce4/desktop and /etc/X11/xdg/xfce4/desktop, but all I see is
>
> <!--
> The next line includes the autogenerated menu at the current level. If
> you want, you can put this in its own submenu.
> -->
> <include type="system" style="simple" unique="true" visible="true"/>
>
> Is there a file or something that I can edit for this "system" thing?

The easy way is to open the desktop plugin and in the menu tab click on
the menu editor button. If I am not mistaken, you can simple use the
menu editor to turn off whatever entry you want removed from the menu.
You might have to tell whatever program is using the menu module to
reload the module (restart or turn menu on/off).

--
Edscott Wilson Garcia <edscott at xfce.org>