Login Stuck at KDM Screen

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Aug 2 20:05:16 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Erik Harrison wrote:

> After logging in with KDM, and being bumped back to the login screen,
> switch to another VT and take a look at ~/.xsession-errors. Anything
> interesting in there?

Erik,

   I forgot to mention this in my original message: I cannot access another
console with ctrl-alt-f(n). However, ... the file is there still, with a 31
July datestamp:

stderr is not a tty - where are you?
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xsession: line 164: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: Permission denied
/opt/kde/share/config/kdm/Xsession: line 164: exec: /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc: cannot execute: Success

   Strange that it broke. The permissions on /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc are 777,
and it's a link to .../xinitrc.xfce. That file has perms of 777 and it's a
link to /etc/X11/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc. That file has perms of 644 (owned by
root.root), but it dates from Mar 20 so that hasn't changed since everything
worked.

   Looks like kdm broke somewhere, no?

Thanks,

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President     |  Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM) |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"