Programs using X freeze while switching windows

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Sep 28 21:44:11 CEST 2004

On 09/28/04 21:20, Ondrej Mihalyi wrote:
> I agree that there could be a problem to fix it, you know better, but I'd
> rather assume it's a flaw in xfwm, because I think every X application
> naturally relies on display (and it's not clever to think it shouldn't)
> and whether it is video or audio output that is the heart of application,
> it's unpleasant if it stops for no reason. (actually I was using a Flash
> inet radio player in opera, xmms would do the same, but I don't use it)

the important point that olivier wasn't clear on is that these apps are
requiring a display _grab_ for whatever reason.  only one application is
allowed to grab the server at once, and it's IMO a bug in the music player
that it can't continue playing audio in a separate thread while the GUI
is blocking on the server grab.

> Anyway, I'm not a freaking ever-complaining user and I don't requiere you
> to workaround this problem, I love xfce as it is, I just meant it would be
> nice to not have this little flaw :) Cheers, Ondro

xfwm4 requires the server grab during the alt+tab procedure, so it's not
a flaw in xfwm4.

	-brian