Can't use external program to set background

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 24 06:38:32 CEST 2004

xfdesktop creates a virtual root window on top of the real root window,
so that's not gonna work.  there's no simple way to set the backdrop
from the cmdline (which i'm kinda surprised no one's asked for
before...).  but you can do this:

1) open backdrop prefs, and click the new image list button.
2) stick an image in it (doesn't matter what)
3) new script.  it'll set up the filename the same way yours does, but,
do this instead of the xv:

echo '# xfce backdrop list' >$IMAGE_LIST_FILE
echo $IMAGE_FILE >$IMAGE_LIST_FILE
xfdesktop -reload

that should do it.

    -brian