Xorg-6.8

Mon Sep 13 14:20:15 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 02:43, Mark Houlder wrote:
> Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
> > FWIW, I am running xorg 6.7 on FC2 and have not had any problems. This
> > is on a Dell 5150 Inspiron laptop with a nVidia video card on a 1600 x
> > 1200 lcd panel. I have had no xfce problems, including running the cvs
> > version built as of about an hour ago.
> >
> > The only problem that I had was waiting for nVidia to deliver an updated
> > driver that supported the 2.6 kernel series. Prior to that, using the nv
> > driver, fonts in non-xft apps (ie. xemacs) were poor. The new nVidia
> > driver has solved that.
> >
> > Other than that relatively minor issue, I have had no other issues with
> > xorg. Whether this means that the FC folks have patched xorg in some
> > fashion I cannot say, but it has been stable.
> >
> > In so far as the XFree vs xorg issue, of course it is political. the
> > XFree folks made some decisions which have forced the majority of
> > distributions to react. As I understand it, the majority of the XFree
> > team has left. Does this mean that they saw the writing on the wall or
> > that they disagreed with their former partner(s) decisions. From the
> > outside looking in, I cannot say. Forks are generally beget from
> > political issues.
> >
> > Marc
>

> the problem i have is specific to xorg 6.8 with the composite extension
> running; 6.7, or 6.8 without composite, is fine. i presume it's due to
> the composite manager (xcompmgr) taking over some of the 'duties' of the
> window manager. i don't have any issues with xorg/xfce in general, just
> this composite-specific one. it is pretty much bleeding-edge so it's not
> an entirely unexpected issue, but i thought there might be a work-around
> for the time being.
>
> mark

Mark,

I have not tried 6.8 as of yet, but I would not be surprised if there
are issues with it, especially with composite enabled. There have been
posts on the Fedora test list in just the past few days suggesting that
there are notable performance issues with composite enabled due to the
lack of acceleration at this point.

Presumably for those of us using non-FOSS drivers, we will have to wait
for the vendors to release updates, much as I did with nVidia and the
2.6 kernels. We can then get a sense as to whether the issues are the
existing HW drivers or xorg itself.

As one of the FC folks mentioned the other day, "They have our source,
we don't have theirs"...  :-)

Marc