Xorg-6.8

Mark Houlder mark.houlder at ot-t.com
Mon Sep 13 09:43:58 CEST 2004

Marc Schwartz wrote:

> FWIW, I am running xorg 6.7 on FC2 and have not had any problems. This
> is on a Dell 5150 Inspiron laptop with a nVidia video card on a 1600 x
> 1200 lcd panel. I have had no xfce problems, including running the cvs
> version built as of about an hour ago.
>
> The only problem that I had was waiting for nVidia to deliver an updated
> driver that supported the 2.6 kernel series. Prior to that, using the nv
> driver, fonts in non-xft apps (ie. xemacs) were poor. The new nVidia
> driver has solved that.
>
> Other than that relatively minor issue, I have had no other issues with
> xorg. Whether this means that the FC folks have patched xorg in some
> fashion I cannot say, but it has been stable.
>
> In so far as the XFree vs xorg issue, of course it is political. the
> XFree folks made some decisions which have forced the majority of
> distributions to react. As I understand it, the majority of the XFree
> team has left. Does this mean that they saw the writing on the wall or
> that they disagreed with their former partner(s) decisions. From the
> outside looking in, I cannot say. Forks are generally beget from
> political issues.
>
> Marc

the problem i have is specific to xorg 6.8 with the composite extension
running; 6.7, or 6.8 without composite, is fine. i presume it's due to
the composite manager (xcompmgr) taking over some of the 'duties' of the
window manager. i don't have any issues with xorg/xfce in general, just
this composite-specific one. it is pretty much bleeding-edge so it's not
an entirely unexpected issue, but i thought there might be a work-around
for the time being.

mark