Xorg-6.8

Fri Sep 10 18:30:53 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 11:12, purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
> 040910 Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Mark Houlder wrote:
> >> I downloaded and installed the new xorg 6.8 yesterday
> >> and after much messing about with drivers it's working fairly well
> >> (gentoo on a T41, ck-sources 2.6.8, xfce4.06, ati binary drivers).
> > I've no answer to your question, but a related issue with X.org 6.7.0
> > with Slackware-10.0 and a Hyundai L70S LCD monitor.
> > I cannot get the monitor to display 1280x1024,
> > application windows are of much lower resolution
> > and the characters are unclear in virtual terminals.
> > All this with xfce-4.0.6.
> > With Slackware-9.1, XFree86-3.4.0 and xfce-4.0.1 the display is fine.
> > Might these be related issues?
>
> i too had a bad experience w Xorg 6.7 on Gentoo,
> but it was ugly fonts which i cdn't find any way to fix, not Xfce4.
> my conclusion was that Xorg is far from ready for real-life use
> & that pressure to give up XFree is largely political.
> i'm back using XFree, reading as much re fonts as i can find
> & planning to have another try w Xorg after a few more releases.

FWIW, I am running xorg 6.7 on FC2 and have not had any problems. This
is on a Dell 5150 Inspiron laptop with a nVidia video card on a 1600 x
1200 lcd panel. I have had no xfce problems, including running the cvs
version built as of about an hour ago.

The only problem that I had was waiting for nVidia to deliver an updated
driver that supported the 2.6 kernel series. Prior to that, using the nv
driver, fonts in non-xft apps (ie. xemacs) were poor. The new nVidia
driver has solved that.

Other than that relatively minor issue, I have had no other issues with
xorg. Whether this means that the FC folks have patched xorg in some
fashion I cannot say, but it has been stable.

In so far as the XFree vs xorg issue, of course it is political. the
XFree folks made some decisions which have forced the majority of
distributions to react. As I understand it, the majority of the XFree
team has left. Does this mean that they saw the writing on the wall or
that they disagreed with their former partner(s) decisions. From the
outside looking in, I cannot say. Forks are generally beget from
political issues.

Marc