slow xfce menu?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 20 06:17:32 CEST 2004

Andrew Conkling wrote:

>>From: "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>
>>Date: 2004/10/19 Tue PM 06:31:12 EDT
>>To: XFCE general discussion list <xfce at xfce.org>
>>Subject: Re: slow xfce menu?
>>

>Hi Brian,
>

>>when you click to open the menu, it'll check various directories to see
>>if they've changed (if so, the menu needs to be update).  there shouldn't
>>be a noticeable delay here, though.  if there's something on your system
>>that's touching these directories often, then the menu will get
>>regenerated often, and a 4-5 second delay is not uncommon.  to see which
>>directories are being checked (particular to your system), check the
>>files in ~/.cache/xfce4/desktop.
>>

>I really hate to open a can of worms when y'all are trying to get 4.2 out,
>but...

hehe, yeah.  we've been over the menu performance a lot, and it's not
going to change.

>if a 4-5 second delay is not uncommon, couldn't there be a better way of
>checking these so they are regenerated less often?

the menu should be regenerated when it needs to be.  i'm not really sure
what you mean about regenerating it less often.  if something changes
on-disk such that the menu doesn't reflect what it should, it'll be
regenerated.

>  I mean, xfdesktop could
>load the menu at startup.  Then, the menu editor could automatically cause
>xfdesktop to regenerate the menu when it saves.  Otherwise (e.g. a manual
>editing of the menu file), the user is on his own to regenerate the menu.
>(Is there a command line option to do this?)

'xfdesktop -reload'.  the problem is that if an app installs a .desktop
file to /usr/share/applications, the menu needs to be regenerated.  the
app installer doesn't know how to do this, and the user shouldn't need
to have to.  so it polls every 10 seconds to see if anything's changed,
and regens as needed.

>It seems like having xfdesktop only "listen" to the menu editor would not
>break from Xfce's current programme behaviour.

oh, but it would...  the bottom line is that, if the menu needs to be
regenerated, it should be, and xfdesktop should do it.  period.  if it's
regenerating when it doesn't need to, then it's a bug i want to fix, but
otherwise, there's no bug here.

    -brian