slow xfce menu?

Andrew Conkling andrewski at fr.st
Wed Oct 20 18:23:16 CEST 2004

Some time ago (probably on Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:17:32 -0700)
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> had occasion to say the following:

> 'xfdesktop -reload'.  the problem is that if an app installs a .desktop
> file to /usr/share/applications, the menu needs to be regenerated.  the
> app installer doesn't know how to do this, and the user shouldn't need
> to have to.  so it polls every 10 seconds to see if anything's changed,
> and regens as needed.

Ah, I was not thinking of system menus, only user ones; I guess this scenario would have to be covered as such.  However, back to the original question, if xfdesktop polls every 10 seconds and regenerates as needed, then why would there be a performance lag when accessing the menu after a period of disuse?

> >It seems like having xfdesktop only "listen" to the menu editor would not
> >break from Xfce's current programme behaviour.
> >

> oh, but it would...  the bottom line is that, if the menu needs to be
> regenerated, it should be, and xfdesktop should do it.  period.  if it's
> regenerating when it doesn't need to, then it's a bug i want to fix, but
> otherwise, there's no bug here.

Yes, I see what you mean now.  But, just to make my question clear, what about if it's not ready when the user accesses it, because it needs to regenerate or something else?

Thanks,
Andrew