slow xfce menu?

Andrew Conkling andrewski at verizon.net
Wed Oct 20 05:31:18 CEST 2004

> From: "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>
> Date: 2004/10/19 Tue PM 06:31:12 EDT
> To: XFCE general discussion list <xfce at xfce.org>
> Subject: Re: slow xfce menu?

Hi Brian,

> when you click to open the menu, it'll check various directories to see
> if they've changed (if so, the menu needs to be update).  there shouldn't
> be a noticeable delay here, though.  if there's something on your system
> that's touching these directories often, then the menu will get
> regenerated often, and a 4-5 second delay is not uncommon.  to see which
> directories are being checked (particular to your system), check the
> files in ~/.cache/xfce4/desktop.

I really hate to open a can of worms when y'all are trying to get 4.2 out,
but...
if a 4-5 second delay is not uncommon, couldn't there be a better way of
checking these so they are regenerated less often?  I mean, xfdesktop could
load the menu at startup.  Then, the menu editor could automatically cause
xfdesktop to regenerate the menu when it saves.  Otherwise (e.g. a manual
editing of the menu file), the user is on his own to regenerate the menu.
(Is there a command line option to do this?)

It seems like having xfdesktop only "listen" to the menu editor would not
break from Xfce's current programme behaviour.

Man, I really wish I could back these things up with some code...
Andrew