xfdesktop root menu and etc

Andrew Conkling andrewski at fr.st
Wed Oct 13 15:38:15 CEST 2004

Some time ago (probably on Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:03:23 +0400)
Leonid Shlyapnikov <shl at rol.ru> had occasion to say the following:

> Hi there!

Hi!

> 3). Is it possible to remove XFce Panel? I know about auto-hide mode,
> but I don't need it at, I am going to keep memory footprint as small
> as possible (as I got it is one of the goals of XFce).

If you're running xfce4-session, just kill the panel and exit, making
sure you save the session while doing so.

If not, the file you want to edit is ~/.xfce4/xinitrc (if you're using
4.0.x) or ~/.config/xfce4/xinitrc (the new standard, employed in the 4.2
branch).  If it's not there, copy it over from somewhere in /etc
(depending on your distrobution).  You'll have to change the
session-controlling app (maybe make it xfwm4), as the panel is such that
if you kill it, you kill the session (but only if you're not using
xfce4-session). :)

Cheers,
Andrew