[xfce 4.2rc1] two "bugs"

Xan DXpublica at telefonica.net
Wed Nov 24 14:47:48 CET 2004

Dimarts 23 Novembre 2004 22:52, en/na Brian J. Tarricone (<"Brian J.
Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>>) va escriure:
>>Re: [xfce 4.2rc1] two "bugs"
>
> On 11/23/04 22:21, Xan wrote:
> > Dilluns 22 Novembre 2004 20:33, en/na Brian J. Tarricone (<"Brian J.
> >
> > Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>>) va escriure:

> > > make sure it's installed to the proper system location (or to
> > > ~/.icons), and that the theme has a proper index.theme file.
> >
> > Yes. The only icons themes that I have avaliable are in ~/.icons. But why
> > not xfce4 search in whole system searching icons themes?. Why xfce4 does
> > not do it and do it for gtk themes (I have all gtk themes of my system)
> >
> > [I installed xfce4.2rc1 in my home directory]
>
> it DOES search in normal system locations, such as /usr/share/icons/.  if
> you want to tell it exactly where to search, you need to set your
> XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable appropriately.  i believe the default is
> something like:
> XDG_DATA_DIRS="$HOME/.local/share:/usr/share:/usr/local/share"
> we also search ~/.icons/, because it's a well-known alternate location.
>
> the fact of the matter is, there are some well-defined standard locations
> for these things, both systemwide, and user-homedir-specific.  if you don't
> want to use them, that's your problem.
>
> > > please, please, just file bugs in bugzilla.  i don't care if you're not
> > > sure if it's a bug or not.  just file it.  if it's not a bug, we'll
> > > mark it as such.  if it _is_ a bug, it saves duplication of effort and
> > > makes sure we are able to keep track of it properly.  the mailing list
> > > is a terrible place to try to keep track of bugs.
> >
> > I will do that but before I want to be sure to it's probably a bug. And I
> > think that it's a more faster place to sure of it.
>
> will you please just listen to what i've said?  bugzilla IS the best place
> for all this.  at  this point, i still don't know if this is a bug or not,
> and now the beginning of this conversation will be lost in my mail
> archives, which i'll have to make an extra effort to look up if this ends
> up in bugzilla and i need more information.  starting with bugzilla in the
> first place would eliminate this problem.  people with bugs to report
> should be searching bugzilla first anyway before they report a new bug,
> whether to bugzilla or to the mailing list.
>
> > What's files you need? Installation wizard log?. My old config?
>
> i don't know.  i'm still not seeing that there's any kind of problem here,
> since i'm getting the vague impression that you don't have your icon themes
> installed to normal locations.
>
> > And what's about the "bug" of anti-aliasing?
>
> that's a separate issue.  if i had any information about it, i would have
> said so.  asking me again buys you nothing.
>
> > I will open a bug if you consider it necessary, but if we could light
> > this problem before in a more faster way, I will be glad.
>
> opening a bug IS the best way.  i personally don't care about "fastest".
> my goal is to decrease the amount of time AND work it takes to close a
> [...]

Well.... If you want to do by this way, I will do by this way.
I bugzilla two bugs.

Sorry for thinking that mailing list is best option, but I did that because I
remember that some developers said me in the past  that prefer mailing lists.

Regards,
Xan.