OT to Brian regarding bugs (was "[xfce 4.2rc1] two "bugs"")

Andrew Conkling andrewski at fr.st
Wed Nov 24 17:48:59 CET 2004

Some time ago (probably on Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:52:46 -0800)
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> had occasion to say the
following:

> will you please just listen to what i've said?  bugzilla IS the best
> place for all this.  at  this point, i still don't know if this is a
> bug or not, and now the beginning of this conversation will be lost in
> my mail archives, which i'll have to make an extra effort to look up
> if this ends up in bugzilla and i need more information.  starting
> with bugzilla in the first place would eliminate this problem.  people
> with bugs to report should be searching bugzilla first anyway before
> they report a new bug, whether to bugzilla or to the mailing list.
>
> opening a bug IS the best way.  i personally don't care about
> "fastest". my goal is to decrease the amount of time AND work it takes
> to close a bug report (regardless of whether or not it's a valid bug).
>  mixing reports
> on the mailing list and in bugzilla increases both of them.  i think
> 4.2 is coming along nicely, and we have enough time to fix the
> remaining issues. the main thing i don't want to have to do is try to
> keep track of multiple bugs via email threads.  it's just not a good
> organisation method.

Hey Brian,
Just for the record:
So if we run into a problem, we should search the mailinglist and
bugzilla and (if nothing is found) then report a bug on bugzilla?  I can
see what you mean about one place being more efficient, but Xan is not
the only one who thinks that reporting an invalid bug would be an
annoyance to you devs. (I do too.)

In the meantime, I've signed up to xfce-bugs to help y'all kill some
bugs, since 4.2 is coming.... >:-D