[xfce 4.2rc1] two "bugs"

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Nov 23 22:52:46 CET 2004

On 11/23/04 22:21, Xan wrote:
> Dilluns 22 Novembre 2004 20:33, en/na Brian J. Tarricone (<"Brian J.
> Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>>) va escriure:
> >>Re: [xfce 4.2rc1] two "bugs"
> >
> > On 11/22/04 20:14, Xan wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Finally I installed the 4.2 release.
> > > I used oscillation installer.
> > >
> > > All okay, but two things:
> > >
> > > 1) When I go to "Preferences-->User interface-->Icons", the theme I used
> > > ("Wasp") is not listed. And the theme "hicolor" is appeared as selected.
> > > Then I test some themes, but:
> >
> > make sure it's installed to the proper system location (or to ~/.icons),
> > and that the theme has a proper index.theme file.
>
> Yes. The only icons themes that I have avaliable are in ~/.icons. But why not
> xfce4 search in whole system searching icons themes?. Why xfce4 does not do
> it and do it for gtk themes (I have all gtk themes of my system)
>
> [I installed xfce4.2rc1 in my home directory]

it DOES search in normal system locations, such as /usr/share/icons/.  if
you want to tell it exactly where to search, you need to set your
XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable appropriately.  i believe the default is
something like:
XDG_DATA_DIRS="$HOME/.local/share:/usr/share:/usr/local/share"
we also search ~/.icons/, because it's a well-known alternate location.

the fact of the matter is, there are some well-defined standard locations
for these things, both systemwide, and user-homedir-specific.  if you don't
want to use them, that's your problem.

> > please, please, just file bugs in bugzilla.  i don't care if you're not
> > sure if it's a bug or not.  just file it.  if it's not a bug, we'll mark it
> > as such.  if it _is_ a bug, it saves duplication of effort and makes sure
> > we are able to keep track of it properly.  the mailing list is a terrible
> > place to try to keep track of bugs.
>
> I will do that but before I want to be sure to it's probably a bug. And I
> think that it's a more faster place to sure of it.

will you please just listen to what i've said?  bugzilla IS the best place
for all this.  at  this point, i still don't know if this is a bug or not,
and now the beginning of this conversation will be lost in my mail archives,
which i'll have to make an extra effort to look up if this ends up in
bugzilla and i need more information.  starting with bugzilla in the first
place would eliminate this problem.  people with bugs to report should be
searching bugzilla first anyway before they report a new bug, whether to
bugzilla or to the mailing list.

> What's files you need? Installation wizard log?. My old config?

i don't know.  i'm still not seeing that there's any kind of problem here,
since i'm getting the vague impression that you don't have your icon themes
installed to normal locations.

> And what's about the "bug" of anti-aliasing?

that's a separate issue.  if i had any information about it, i would have
said so.  asking me again buys you nothing.

> I will open a bug if you consider it necessary, but if we could light this
> problem before in a more faster way, I will be glad.

opening a bug IS the best way.  i personally don't care about "fastest".
my goal is to decrease the amount of time AND work it takes to close a
bug report (regardless of whether or not it's a valid bug).  mixing reports
on the mailing list and in bugzilla increases both of them.  i think 4.2 is
coming along nicely, and we have enough time to fix the remaining issues.
the main thing i don't want to have to do is try to keep track of multiple
bugs via email threads.  it's just not a good organisation method.

	-brian