Icon Themes

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Sun Nov 21 22:58:50 CET 2004

Andrew Conkling wrote:

>Some time ago (probably on Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:14:40 -0800)
>Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net> had occasion to say the following:
>

>>Thanks Andrew. I read the thread on bugzilla and it looks to me like
>>my problem is different, or at least additional to what you describe.
>>All the icons appear normally in the main settings window, and in the
>>individual settings windows. What I'm seeing is that only two choices
>>appear under User Interface -> Icon Theme: ROX and Rodent. Is this the
>>expected behavior?
>>

>I only meant that your problem was additional.  As for icon themes, I
>see as many in the UI prefs as are in /usr/share/icons.  I'd check that
>folder.
>

>>Also, is this setting responsible for setting the Icon Theme in the
>>panel? In 4.0 I had lots of Icon Themes for the panel. In 4.2 I am
>>stuck with the rodent theme. If not, is there any way to change the
>>Panel icons?
>>

>I'm pretty sure that the panel in 4.2 honours the GTK theme, so to
>speak.  From my (quick and ignorant) testing, the menu and panel plugins
>follow whatever theme I pick in UI prefs.  So, maybe, if you get the
>icon themes to show up, you'll be set.

My installation of GTK2.4 is in /usr/local. In /usr/local/share/icons
there are two folders: Rodent and hicolor. hicolor doesn't show up in
the list under Icon Theme, whereas ROX does so it must be looking
somewhere else in addition to <prefix>/share/icons

Yeah, I don't have any trouble with the actual themes, I have about 16
of them. Where does one get additional GTK icon themes?

Bob S.