Icon Themes

Andrew Conkling andrewski at fr.st
Mon Nov 22 05:49:25 CET 2004

Some time ago (probably on Sun, 21 Nov 2004 13:58:50 -0800)
Bob Snyder <bob.snyder at cox.net> had occasion to say the following:

> Andrew Conkling wrote:
> >I'm pretty sure that the panel in 4.2 honours the GTK theme, so to
> >speak.  From my (quick and ignorant) testing, the menu and panel
> >plugins follow whatever theme I pick in UI prefs.  So, maybe, if you
> >get the icon themes to show up, you'll be set.
>
> Yeah, I don't have any trouble with the actual themes, I have about 16
> of them. Where does one get additional GTK icon themes?

Whoops, I meant the GTK *icon* themes.  BTW, in case you don't know
this already, icon themes are completely separate from the GTK UI
themes; you'll have to get them separately (most of the time).  Not
sure if you knew this already or not, so I thought I'd point it out.  I
don't know where to get more icon themes; I have the one I want from its
own site.... :-)  However, I bet you can find some on freshmeat.net or
themedepot.org.

> My installation of GTK2.4 is in /usr/local. In /usr/local/share/icons
> there are two folders: Rodent and hicolor. hicolor doesn't show up in
> the list under Icon Theme, whereas ROX does so it must be looking
> somewhere else in addition to <prefix>/share/icons

IIRC, hicolor is like a fallback option for absent icons in your (icon)
theme of choice.  Something like that, point being that I'm pretty sure
it's not supposed to show up in the Icon Themes list.  Since you have
only two themes in <prefix>/icons, I'm pretty sure when you add more,
you'll find the problem solved.

FWIW, I'd try starting with a big theme (e.g. Crux, Amaranth, Nuvola) to
see wide changes to the normal theme.

Cheers,
Andrew