Running apps are vanishing in v4.0.4...

Marv Boyes marvboyes at att.net
Wed May 5 02:33:10 CEST 2004

I've been using Xfce4 (v4.0.4) near-exclusively for a couple of months
now, and I've absolutely fallen in love with it-- coming from KDE, I
feel like I've "graduated", in a way.  ;)  Unfortunately, I've run into
a serious problem in the last couple of weeks and hope that someone can
help.

Once every day or two, for no apparent reason, every single application
opened in a particular workspace will suddenly disappear. It's like I
killed them all at once. There's no warning, there are no error
messages-- everything in that workspace just vanishes. It has (so far)
only happened in whichever workspace is active; applications opened in
other workspaces are unscathed. It appears to be random-- I haven't been
able to pin the behavior to a particular application or action.
Sometimes it happens while I'm working; other times I'll leave the room
and return several minutes later to find everything gone. I haven't been
able to purposely duplicate the problem.

It happens on both my home and work computers, too-- while both are
running Mandrake 9.2, the computers themselves basically have only the
Intel architecture in common. The two are configured, and run, very
differently. I installed Xfce4 using the same packages on both machines.
I had thought that perhaps there was some kind of conflict with software
I had installed at home, but that wouldn't explain why I see the same
behavior at work.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? Please accept my apologies if it's
been covered before, and thanks very much in advance.

Marv
-------
Help in the research to fight devastating diseases like
Huntington's, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's-- donate your computer's
leisure time to Folding at Home.
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/