xinitrc executableness needs to go (was Re: can't stop xftaskbar from loading)

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun May 2 09:50:54 CEST 2004

Paul M. Bucalo wrote:

>On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 19:35, Andrew Conkling wrote:
>

>>I had similar problems for a long time (my particular issue was stopping
>>the iconbox) and then I finally figured it out: I simply had to make my
>>xinitrc executable.  I guess in the absence of that, it had been
>>defaulting to the global file.
>>

>On my FC1 laptop, the files mentioned above are not executable, and yet
>I am able to modify them with expected results. I went ahead and made
>them executable on the RH 9 box, but still no difference.

can we please please _please_ change this behaviour?  it's really
non-intuitive and confusing that the systemwide /etc/xfce4/xinitrc
doesn't need to be executable (and is shipped as non-executable), but
the per-user ~/.xfce4/xinitrc needs to be.  looking in the startxfce4
script, in the part where it just runs those scripts without xinit (in
the case that X is already running), it runs either script by invoking
'sh' first anyway, so the files need not be executable.  the scripts
checks for executableness of ~/.xfce4/xinitrc and only uses it if it
is.  it really needs to be changed to use the per-user file if it exists
in any shape or form.

this is a _huge_ point of confusion, and despite the fact that i believe
it does say in the docs to chmod +x the file, soooo many people miss
this and get really confused and waste unnecessary time over something
that isn't worth it, is really non-obvious, and is incredibly stupid.
this is really the #1 question i see in #xfce (and probably on the ML as
well)... with requests for desktop icons a close 2nd.

    -brian