can't stop xftaskbar from loading

Paul M. Bucalo linuxuser at pmbenterprises.com
Sun May 2 13:37:39 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 19:53, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 19:35, Andrew Conkling wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 19:25 -0400, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> > > Honestly, everything works fine except that I can't alter which XFce
> > > modules load! Currently, I have both the taskbar and iconbox loading. I
> > > have edited out the taskbar in every place I can think of it could be
> > > in, and still the taskbar comes up!
> > >
> > > On this system, I have calls to load the modules in:
> > >
> > > /etc/xfce4/default.session
> > > /etc/xfce4/xinitrc
> > > /etc/xfce4/xinitrc.xfce4-session
> > >
> > > I have tried:
> > >
> > > 'cp /etc/xfce4/xinitrc ~/.xfce/xinitrc'
> > > 'cp /etc/xfce4/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc'
> > > 'cp /etc/xfce4/xinitrc ~/.xsession'
> > >
> > > None of these have worked, either.
> >
> > I had similar problems for a long time (my particular issue was stopping
> > the iconbox) and then I finally figured it out: I simply had to make my
> > xinitrc executable.  I guess in the absence of that, it had been
> > defaulting to the global file.
>
> On my FC1 laptop, the files mentioned above are not executable, and yet
> I am able to modify them with expected results. I went ahead and made
> them executable on the RH 9 box, but still no difference.
>
> >   You may try adding a flag at the
> > beginning of your global xinitrc (or your user one) to let you know
> > which is successfully running.  Maybe a `touch ~/xfce-success` or
> > something?
>
> Tried that on both global files that actually call up the modules:
> 'default-session' and 'xinitrc'. 'xfce-success' was never created in
> either user home or root.
>

> > Hopefully, for sake of your sanity, this is a real issue and not
> > something this silly, but you never know...! :)

I found the culprit.

The problem was with 'xfce4-session'. Once I moved it out my $PATH, my
local 'xinitrc' was read and executed, which also tells me that my
global would have been read if the local wasn't in place. (Generally, I
don't apply a local 'xinitrc' for my personal workstations when running
XFce) The fact that neither script was being recognized lead me to
believe it had to be 'xfce4-session' causing the problem. I'm tracing
down where I got this version of 'xfce4-session' and what it's version
numbers are.

Anyone know why 'xfce4-session' would default to loading all the
installed XFce modules regardless of what the local or global 'xinitrc'
tell it to do?

Paul