icons on desktop with xfce

Michal M. Lechanski mis at hustons.homechoice.co.uk
Sat May 1 19:51:36 CEST 2004

On 2004-05-01 15:51 Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> i believe there was a patched version of root-tail floating around that
> could be given a window id to draw on (instead of the root window).  or
> something.  not sure where it might be though.

I have that patched version and I tried run it with a Desktop window ID
as a parameter, but with no luck.

>>(*)It's worked in 4.0.3, but not in newer versions...

> that's strange.  it was my understanding that none of that stuff had
> been touched since 4.0.0.  i know jasper had at one time been playing
> around with how xfdesktop draws the desktop, but i thought that was
> confined to CVS head.

I used 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 on Mandrake 9.2, root-tail worked only with 4.0.3.
4.0.4 and 4.0.5 I run on Arch Linux 0.6 and root-tail doesn't work at all.
I know this isn't a big problem, but it would be a nice feature... much
more handy than icons on desktop (for me of course). ;-)