garxfce4 0.2.0 released

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 22 17:31:59 CET 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Devin Whalen wrote:
> Hey Brian,
>
> I am just wondering about the configuration of garxfce4....I hope it is
> ok to ask this on the list.

sure, not a problem.

> To install xfce4 I usually just download
> all the tarballs and then untar them and do
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
> then run ./configure make and make install....using all the defaults, I
> don't set anything differently.  So what would I set this to in
> gar.conf.mk:
>
> 	# Directory config for the "main" image
> 	main_prefix ?= $(HOME)/garxfce4
>
> I want a system wide install.  It says on your website to set it to /etc
> so xfce4 will be installed in /etc/xfce4...but it is not installed there
> on my system. AFAIK, there seems to be stuff installed in
> /usr/local/bin
> /usr/local/etc/xfce4

ah, i see.  changing main_sysconfdir to point to /etc (note: _not_
main_prefix like you said above) is optional.  personally, i dislike
having stuff in /usr/etc and /usr/local/etc.  i like having all
systemwide config data in /etc regardless of where the actual programs
are installed.  most distro packagers explicitly set sysconfdir to /etc
even while they set prefix to /usr (which would make sysconfdir /usr/etc
by default).

it's mainly a personal preference, and if you already have all your
systemwide config data in /usr/local/etc, there's no reason why you need
to move it - in that case just set main_prefix to /usr/local and install
as-is.

on a somewhat related note, if you don't want to edit any of the config
files at all, you can set main_prefix on the commandline like so:

$ cd meta/xfce4-desktop
$ sudo make install main_prefix=/usr/local

	-brian