garxfce4 0.2.0 released

Devin Whalen devin at synapticvision.com
Mon Mar 22 20:32:34 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 11:31, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Devin Whalen wrote:
> > Hey Brian,
> >
> > I am just wondering about the configuration of garxfce4....I hope it is
> > ok to ask this on the list.
>
> sure, not a problem.
>
> > To install xfce4 I usually just download
> > all the tarballs and then untar them and do
> > export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
> > then run ./configure make and make install....using all the defaults, I
> > don't set anything differently.  So what would I set this to in
> > gar.conf.mk:
> >
> > 	# Directory config for the "main" image
> > 	main_prefix ?= $(HOME)/garxfce4
> >
> > I want a system wide install.  It says on your website to set it to /etc
> > so xfce4 will be installed in /etc/xfce4...but it is not installed there
> > on my system. AFAIK, there seems to be stuff installed in
> > /usr/local/bin
> > /usr/local/etc/xfce4
>
> ah, i see.  changing main_sysconfdir to point to /etc (note: _not_
> main_prefix like you said above) is optional.  personally, i dislike
> having stuff in /usr/etc and /usr/local/etc.  i like having all
> systemwide config data in /etc regardless of where the actual programs
> are installed.  most distro packagers explicitly set sysconfdir to /etc
> even while they set prefix to /usr (which would make sysconfdir /usr/etc
> by default).
>
> it's mainly a personal preference, and if you already have all your
> systemwide config data in /usr/local/etc, there's no reason why you need
> to move it - in that case just set main_prefix to /usr/local and install
> as-is.
>
> on a somewhat related note, if you don't want to edit any of the config
> files at all, you can set main_prefix on the commandline like so:
>
> $ cd meta/xfce4-desktop
> $ sudo make install main_prefix=/usr/local
>
> 	-brian

Thanks brian for you quick reply.  I took just ran
make install main_prefix=/usr/local as root and everything seemed to go
fine.

 personally, i dislike
> having stuff in /usr/etc and /usr/local/etc.  i like having all
> systemwide config data in /etc regardless of where the actual programs
> are installed.

Yeah, I should probably start doing stuff like this but I think I will
wait until I have a clean system as all my programs to date have been
installed wherever they go by default.

Thanks again for the help.

Later

--