Can you add cancel button when it's possible?

Don Christensen djc at cisco.com
Thu Jun 17 20:11:24 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Don Christensen wrote:
>
>> Playing Devil's advocate here, I think having an "Ok" button sort of
>> implies "I accept these changes", and not having a "Cancel" button along
>> side is a little odd.  Changing "Ok" to "Done" would be more clear in
>> my opinion.
>

> the xfce settings dialog have a "close" button, not "ok", which is
> in-line with expected behavior for an instant-apply dialog.

I must apologize for speaking first without having looked back at the
dialog to make sure I knew what I was talking about.  A "Close" button
makes just as much or more sense than a "Done" button.

As for examples of where a "Revert" button might be useful, maybe the
Keyboard Preferences dialog is a good place to start.  There are three
sliders and a couple of checkboxes there.  I might decide to muck with
them and test the results in an xterm.  Since there are no numerical
values shown, if I decide that my original settings were better, all
I can do is to move the sliders near where I remember them being.  It
would be more convenient (although far from critical) if I could just
revert to the previous settings.

I guess mainly I feel that individual items generally don't need a
way to be reverted, it would be nice for collections of items.
Another example would be the Window Manager dialog.  Suppose I wanted
to try out a new theme with different button layouts, keyboard/focus
setting, and other advanced settings.  I might spend 10 minutes trying
different combinations only to find that I don't really like the changes
I made and want to go back.

Anyway, I've said enough on the issue.  I would love to use this as an
exercise to learn a little about GUI coding, but I doubt I can wrestle
up enough free time to do it.

-Don

--
Don Christensen       Senior Software Development Engineer
djc at cisco.com         Cisco Systems, Santa Cruz, CA