Can you add cancel button when it's possible?

Xan DXpublica at telefonica.net
Fri Jun 18 11:51:31 CEST 2004

Dijous 17 Juny 2004 20:11, en/na Don Christensen (<Don Christensen
<djc at cisco.com>>) va escriure:
> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > Don Christensen wrote:
> >> Playing Devil's advocate here, I think having an "Ok" button sort of
> >> implies "I accept these changes", and not having a "Cancel" button along
> >> side is a little odd.  Changing "Ok" to "Done" would be more clear in
> >> my opinion.
> >
> > the xfce settings dialog have a "close" button, not "ok", which is
> > in-line with expected behavior for an instant-apply dialog.
>
> I must apologize for speaking first without having looked back at the
> dialog to make sure I knew what I was talking about.  A "Close" button
> makes just as much or more sense than a "Done" button.
>
> As for examples of where a "Revert" button might be useful, maybe the
> Keyboard Preferences dialog is a good place to start.  There are three
> sliders and a couple of checkboxes there.  I might decide to muck with
> them and test the results in an xterm.  Since there are no numerical
> values shown, if I decide that my original settings were better, all
> I can do is to move the sliders near where I remember them being.  It
> would be more convenient (although far from critical) if I could just
> revert to the previous settings.
>
> I guess mainly I feel that individual items generally don't need a
> way to be reverted, it would be nice for collections of items.

Yes. I'm in agree with you.

> Another example would be the Window Manager dialog.  Suppose I wanted
> to try out a new theme with different button layouts, keyboard/focus
> setting, and other advanced settings.  I might spend 10 minutes trying
> different combinations only to find that I don't really like the changes
> I made and want to go back.

Yes. It could be a revert button in collections of items and in dialogs which
have several tabs of preferences (even this tabs preferences were trivial),
because one can forget what were his/her preferences in the previous tab.

The dialogs in which I put a revert button were (in 4.0.5 version):

Surely
************
-window manager (there is a list and several tabs)
-user interface (there could be a long list)
- mouse (there is a several bars: perhaps a user want to have the same value;
which is impossible to know I think)
- xffm preferences? (there are too many text fields?)
-panel preferences (lists, bars, ...)
- keyboard pref. (at least bars and creation of new keyboards)

Perhaps
*************
- taskbar (because there is a bar (length bar of taskbar) that a user could
not know what was its old (exact) value)
- backdrop (maybe because if we select some file to put in image field and
then we want to return to old image)

What do you think?

> Anyway, I've said enough on the issue.  I would love to use this as an
> exercise to learn a little about GUI coding, but I doubt I can wrestle
> up enough free time to do it.
>
> -Don

Thanks for your disposition,
Regards,