Thanks for xfce3

roger rstmp at iinet.com.au
Wed Jul 21 14:14:50 CEST 2004

Hi,

Yes Xfce3 is a nice piece of software. Actually that's my desktop on my
Cygwin/MS-Windows system (wasn't trivial to install, though!).

Xfce4 is better on many aspects, such as its easiness of configuration and the
availability of panel-docked plugins.

Unfortunately Xfce4 lacks the ability of iconizing applications on the
desktop. I hope too - Don't get me wrong here since we are not talking about
remunerated developers - that this feature will come in one day...

In the meantime on my Linux system, I use 2 different configurations according
to my needs of the moment:
- one is the "standard" Xfce4
- the other one is with "xfwm4 --daemon" replaced by openMotif-2.1.30 "mwm &"
and with xftaskbar4/xfce4-iconbox and xfdesktop commented out in my xinitrc.
(Thanks to Xfce4 modularity)

However the second option is far from being perfect since I loose the ability
of workspace (virtual desktop) management. This feature has been removed from
Motif 2.0
Unfortunately I don't know how to get this old bloody Motif 2.0 source code.
Anyone knows?

Cheers,
Roger

PS	Here are 2 screenshots