launcher only icons

andy tireseas at onetel.com
Mon Jul 19 20:44:41 CEST 2004

Tim Holmes wrote:
> I like the panel with just icons.  I put unique icons for each app on
> the panel.  The tooltips give the details if necessary.  So it would be
> nice to do the same with the popup launchers, also using the same size
> icons.
>
> I somehow thought that the old xfce panel would do that, but my memory
> may be bad.
>
> By the way, the panel looks very good.  Thanks to you and all who worked
> on it.
>
> Tim
>

> Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>
>> Tim Holmes wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The panel is or can be set up to have only icons for the lauchers.
>>> Can the popup menus also be set to behave this way?
>>>
>>> I would like to also have only icons on the popup part of the menu,
>>> including the "+" at the top of the popup.
>>>
>>> Sorry if this is an obvious question.
>>>

>> I'm afraid that is not possible. I don't really see the advantage
>> either, actually. Why do you want that?
>>
>>     Jasper

Being of a recent conversion to Xfce-4 from the 3.8 series, I think you
may be right. I don't know if this is what you mean, but a picture such as:
	   _________
	  |   /\   |
	  |  /  \  |	popup menu
	  |   ||   |
	--------------------------------------\
	 ____/\____	menu launcher	      /
	 |	  |			      \
	 |	  |			      /
	 |	  |	icon		      \	panel
	 |________|			      /
					      \
	--------------------------------------/

Is what came to mind when I read your post.

This would be different from the menu launcher being next to an upwards
arrow, which saves space on the panel either for more launchers (like
the Gnome desktop file drawer thingy) or for the minimalist look.

Actually, here's a pic of my old desktop under Xfce-3.8.18. I had the
panel at the top for a while, but it got a little frustrating up there
for me ergonomically so I relocated it to the bottom of the screen. But
anyway, the point is the menu launchers _above_ the icon which doesn't
take up as much room. This is what I was trying to get at in the pic above:

http://web.onetel.com/~ahimsa/ImageSrc/screens.png

I think the "advantage" is less functional and more aesthetic or even
just as a user's "what-the-hell" desktop design :)

Andy