Panel/Taskbar idea: embarrassingly basic newbie question

Stephen Kuhn skuhn at telpacific.com.au
Mon Jul 19 09:34:48 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 10:57, Marv Boyes wrote:
> Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 15:51, Marv Boyes wrote:
> >
> >>This looks exactly like what I've been wanting for my own setup. My
> >>trouble is that I've never been able to successfully compile and install
> >>anything (xfce-related or otherwise) from source on my Mandrake 9.2
> >>machine.
> >>
> >>I almost hate to have to ask-- but can anyone tell me _where_ I ought to
> >>unpack this tarball before trying to compile and install it?
> >

> > Having lived in the Mandrake world for the past two years, I know the
> > feeling; I've had to manually upgrade my automake, autoconf, make,
> > aclocal and the likes in order to compile progs properly; now that I'm
> > on 10.0 OE it's a bit easier; but overall, what I do is I unpack and
> > compile things under the /usr/src directory and then always use the
> > settings:
> >
> > ./configure --prefix=/usr
> >

> So I'm guessing, based on what you've said here and what I've read on
> the Goodies page, that I'll want the xfce4-taskbar-plugin directory in
> /usr/src, and my command ought to look like this:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install
>
> No?
>
> Next question: assuming this utterly fails to work (I hate to be such a
> fatalist; but like I said, compiling & installing from source just
> doesn't work for me...), is there any easy way to clean up the mess left
> behind?
>
> Thanks much; you folks are the greatest.
>
> Marv

Alright - after doing some spying on how Mandrake 10.0 OE put things
hither thither and yon, I have to detract that simple set of
instructions; I'm trying to work out what needs go where and then what
options need to be passed to the configuration script(s); apparently,
MDK in it's great vision, has put the binaries in /usr/bin, the libs in
/usr/libs/xfce4 and the panel-plugins themselves in
/usr/lib/xfce4/panel-plugins

In not being an expert, I have to muck around and get all the options
right (feel free for anyone to step in with a hint or two - as when I
get beyond the --prefix=/usr bit, that's it for me...)

stephen kuhn - proprietor

Oh, give me a locus where the gravitons focus Where the three-body
problem is solved, Where the microwaves play down at three degrees K,
And the cold virus never evolved. (chorus) We eat algea pie, our vacuum
is high, Our ball bearings are perfectly round. Our horizon is curved,
our warheads are MIRVed, And a kilogram weighs half a pound. (chorus) If
we run out of space for our burgeoning race No more Lebensraum left for
the Mensch When we're ready to start, we can take Mars apart, If we just
find a big enough wrench. (chorus) I'm sick of this place, it's just
McDonald's in space, And living up here is a bore. Tell the shiggies,
"Don't cry," they can kiss me goodbye 'Cause I'm moving next week to L4!
(chorus) CHORUS: Home, home on LaGrange, Where the space debris always
collects, We possess, so it seems, two of Man's greatest dreams: Solar
power and zero-gee sex. -- to Home on the Range