Panel/Taskbar idea: embarrassingly basic newbie question

Marv Boyes marvboyes at att.net
Mon Jul 19 02:57:05 CEST 2004

Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 15:51, Marv Boyes wrote:
>
>>This looks exactly like what I've been wanting for my own setup. My
>>trouble is that I've never been able to successfully compile and install
>>anything (xfce-related or otherwise) from source on my Mandrake 9.2
>>machine.
>>
>>I almost hate to have to ask-- but can anyone tell me _where_ I ought to
>>unpack this tarball before trying to compile and install it?
>

> Having lived in the Mandrake world for the past two years, I know the
> feeling; I've had to manually upgrade my automake, autoconf, make,
> aclocal and the likes in order to compile progs properly; now that I'm
> on 10.0 OE it's a bit easier; but overall, what I do is I unpack and
> compile things under the /usr/src directory and then always use the
> settings:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr

So I'm guessing, based on what you've said here and what I've read on
the Goodies page, that I'll want the xfce4-taskbar-plugin directory in
/usr/src, and my command ought to look like this:

./configure --prefix=/usr && make && make install

No?

Next question: assuming this utterly fails to work (I hate to be such a
fatalist; but like I said, compiling & installing from source just
doesn't work for me...), is there any easy way to clean up the mess left
behind?

Thanks much; you folks are the greatest.

Marv
--
Help in the research to fight devastating diseases like
Huntington's, Parkinson's, and Alzheimer's-- donate your computer's