A Wacky Idea...

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Jul 1 23:18:29 CEST 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Chris Brault wrote:

> Actually,
>
> > Maybe it's lunacy. It makes some sense to me, but
> > others may not think
> > so. At any rate, it's something I've never really
> > seen before: windows that shade SIDEWAYS.
>
> This isn't an insane idea. However, it would be
> "impractical" to rotate the window borders. That is,
> it would serve no other purpose than to act as eye
> candy.

i disagree.  as the original poster mentioned in his rationale, his
layout often makes it easier if things were to roll horizontally
instead.  so it's not just eye candy.

unfortunately, what would you roll to?  the tiny window border?  because
of how xfwm4 theming works, i think all the themes would have to be
modified to do this and make it look good.  not to mention the actual
code that you'd need to add to xfwm4.  plus there's the problem with the
title text.  if you have a bunch of shaded windows and don't know what
they are, it's kinda useless.  and, IIRC, neither X nor pango support
text rotation.

	-brian