A Wacky Idea...

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Thu Jul 1 23:30:02 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 15:18, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Chris Brault wrote:
>
> > Actually,
> >
> > > Maybe it's lunacy. It makes some sense to me, but
> > > others may not think
> > > so. At any rate, it's something I've never really
> > > seen before: windows that shade SIDEWAYS.
> >
> > This isn't an insane idea. However, it would be
> > "impractical" to rotate the window borders. That is,
> > it would serve no other purpose than to act as eye
> > candy.
>
> i disagree.  as the original poster mentioned in his rationale, his
> layout often makes it easier if things were to roll horizontally
> instead.  so it's not just eye candy.
>
> unfortunately, what would you roll to?  the tiny window border?  because
> of how xfwm4 theming works, i think all the themes would have to be
> modified to do this and make it look good.  not to mention the actual
> code that you'd need to add to xfwm4.  plus there's the problem with the
> title text.  if you have a bunch of shaded windows and don't know what
> they are, it's kinda useless.  and, IIRC, neither X nor pango support
> text rotation.

Well, Mongolian is written top-to-bottom (and then left-to-right).
Sure, all the fonts I've seen are left-to-right (or RtL), but if
Unicode/X/pango could do it, this would be useful for them.

Plus, it'd be cool eye candy, and there's nothing wrong with that!

Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/